Retail Forum for Sustainability 2018 - 26 June 2018
We are delighted to invite you the Retail Forum for Sustainability event: “Plastics at a tipping point – what’s the role for retailers”, taking place on Tuesday 26th June at the Renaissance Hotel in Brussels and kindly co-hosted by the European Retail Round Table, EuroCommerce and the European Commission.
Retail Forum for Sustainability:
Plastics at a tipping point – what’s the role for retailers?
26 June 2018 from 9:00 until 13:00, followed by a networking lunch
Registration until 9:30, the event will be followed by a networking lunch.
In a recent move to curb plastic waste, the EU has come forward with its proposal to tackle single use plastic and has launched an effort to ensure that all packaging throughout Europe is reusable or recyclable by the year 2030 and has launched a plastics strategy that involves a €350m investment in plastics research. The move to reduce single-use plastics has become a worldwide initiative, with nearly 200 countries signing a United Nations resolution to eliminate plastic pollution in the ocean, the Canadian presidency of the G7 Summit working on a G7 plastic charter, possibly to be subsequently adopted by G20 and the OECD report on Improving Market for Recycled plastics. Timings are aligned for a worldwide pressure to move the bar higher and higher on plastic.
Progressive retailers’ direct relationship with consumers, along their innovative efforts in contributing to the establishment of a Circular Economy and a new plastics strategy are key drivers in this process. Join this high-level event gathering experts from business, civil society, the EU institutions and the signatories of the Retailers’ Environmental Action Programme (REAP) to discuss how retailers can contribute to addressing these challenges within a new vision for plastics in Europe.
- Keynote speech by Karmenu Vella, EU Commissioner for Environment, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries.
- Our speakers further include:
- Adela Torres Calatayud, CSR Manager, Mercadona, S.A.
- Richard Wilson, Sustainability Manager, Central Europe, IKEA Group
- Kęstutis Sadauskas, Director Circular Economy & Green Growth, DG Environment, EU Commission
- William Neale, Adviser Circular Economy & Green Growth, DG Environment, EU Commission
- Thierry Lucas, Head of the Brussels’ office, United Nations Environment Programme
- Virginia Janssens, Managing Director, EUROPEN
- Juliet Phillips, Ocean Campaigner, Rethink Plastics Alliance
- Andreas Mäurer, Head of Department of Process Development for Polymer Recycling, Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV
- Leonor Garcia, Director Public Affairs, PlasticsEurope
REAP, the Retailers’ Environmental Action Programme, is the means by which innovative retailers demonstrate the important contribution they can make to sustainability and to society as a whole by setting the example. Having run for two previous successful mandates, the current mandate is focused on the positive role retailers have in the transition towards a circular economy and is currently composed of over 170 publicly accessible commitments. Signatories to REAP participate in the Retail Forum for Sustainability with a view to taking the Circular Economy agenda forward.
More information about both REAP and the Retail Forum for Sustainability can be found here.
To register for the event click here.
We are looking forward to welcoming you at our event!